Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A jumble of thoughts

We’re nearing the end of the school year and all I can smell are days of summer!  Unfortunately April examinations stand between the students and freedom.  The examination period is one that is reoccurring, for ‘we have to fight [this] battle more than once to win it’.1 You’re probably wondering why I cited a quote… well that’s because at the University of Toronto Mississauga you have to cite all work that you reference!  Haha! Seriously.  Plus I thought I’d brush up on my referencing skills, for essay due dates are approaching.

As deadlines become pressing and the end of the term and semester nears, I have hunkered down and am slowly progressing into hermit mode.  By Hermit mode I mean sit in the library and study!  Library hours during the exam period are 24/5, so it’ll be good knowing I can stay as late as I want to finish up my work.  With the added stress I have also tried to increase my visits to the RAWC gym here at UTM from 2 times a week to 3 times a week!  It can be stressful balancing your academic life and personal life but remember that university is a learning process. 

In my first year I found it extremely tough to see my friends and family, work, and do well in school –  all while balancing full course load.  However, after 3 years of practice I am happy to say I have an idea of how to do that now.  Joke!  It is important to set a schedule for yourself and try and abide by it, but most important is to know that your schedule can be turned upside down at any time.  Personal schedules should be flexible and realistic. Prioritize what is important to you and you’ll see that the hard work everyone is always talking about pays off when you put it toward your own interests.

I am currently focused most on school, family, friends, and health and juggling them can get tough.  Many students at university don’t take much care of themselves health wise – mentally or physically – but it is very important to do so because we put our bodies through so much stress. The reason I choose to stay physically active is because I love to eat junk and when I’m studying all I do is eat!  However, that balance must be maintained and so I play hockey and go to the gym and try and keep it routine. 

To end my jumble of thoughts, just remember to stay organized, prioritize, keep focused, and stay safe!  And remember to have your pets spayed or neutered.



Arvind Singh is a fourth year student working toward an Honours Bachelor of Science with a Major in Biology and a Double Minor in Chemistry and Mathematics. He plays rugby and boxes. These days, you are most likely to find Arvind in the library.







Margaret Thatcher. BrainyQuote.com, Xplore Inc, 2012. http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/margaretth127095.html, accessed March 2, 2012.