Monday, January 23, 2012

Get involved!

Hi, my name is Madison. I am a fourth year student completing a Double Major in Psychology and Criminology and a Minor in Sociology. I was born and raised in Burlington, Ontario, and my family still lives there. I attended Notre Dame Secondary School.

I chose to attend the University of Toronto for a variety of reasons including its world renowned reputation, its large size and many resources, its excellent professors and courses, and its vast opportunities for students to get involved in both academic and social/cultural activities, among other things. I chose the Mississauga campus specifically because I wanted to get my UofT education without confronting the size of the St. George campus right out of high school.

Besides my academics, I have also gotten involved in a lot of different things here at UTM. I have been dancing every year since I was 4 years old, so when I got to UofT Mississauga I was pleased to find out that they had a dance team. Now in my fourth year on the team, I am an executive member! Being able to continue on with dance on the team has allowed me to be active in a way that I am used to and enjoy, and being on the team has introduced me to many great people with whom I share that interest. We dance 4 hours a week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays 9-11 pm), and throughout the year we put on a dance pub, participate in Arts Fest, and attend two competitions.

In my first year of university I chose to live in residence and that provided me with another amazing way to get involved with campus life. In my second year I applied to be a don in residence and was hired! I loved my position so much that I was a don again in my third year and this year I am working as a programming assistant for the Department of Student Housing and Residence Life. My role as a member of the RLS (Residence Life Staff) team has been so rewarding and it has allowed me to meet really incredible people and make friends, and allowed me to develop both personally and professionally!

In addition, in my third year (last year), I applied for a work study position (which are campus jobs that are reserved for students eligible for OSAP) with the Office of Admissions and Recruitment and was hired as a student ambassador. That too has been a great experience (which I have continued into my fourth year) as it allows me to meet a variety of different people as well as talk about how much I have loved my time here at UTM to prospective students such as you!

So if I could give you one piece of advice (besides the typical, stay on top of your academic work of course) it would be to get involved! Investigate the numerous options available to you and find some things that suit you.



Madison Peters is a fourth year student working toward an Honours Bachelor of Science with a Double Major in Psychology and Criminology and a Minor in Sociology. She lives and works on residence as a Programming Assistant for one of the Community Development Coordinators.