Monday, January 28, 2013

Getting to Know Our Students: Carla Correa

My name is Carla Correa and I am currently a third year student in the Concurrent Teacher Education Program pursuing an Honours Bachelor of Science double major in Exceptionality in Human Learning and Teaching and Learning French as a Second Language. Until my first year at UTM, I lived in Caledon, Ontario, for my entire life and I attended Robert F. Hall Catholic Secondary School.

I chose the University of Toronto Mississauga because not only does it have an incredible Concurrent Teacher Education Program (CTEP), but it is also a world-renowned University. UTM has a beautiful campus, an infectious positive vibe and a strong sense of community. All of that was just a short distance from home!


I have to admit, things have been busy from the start of the semester. There is no time to waste because there is so much to see and do on campus. This includes buying and reading books, studying for tests, completing assignments, and of course partaking in all the different on campus events, as well as joining clubs.

My personal goal is to try to participate in something new every year.  Last year, I was a Residence Don for first-years students, a member of the Japanese Society for Erindale students (JSES), and I became a Student Ambassador for the Admissions and Recruitment Team in the Office of Registrar. This year, I decided to join the Tri-campus Women’s Soccer team and become a volunteer with Community on Campus to assist individuals in the Mississauga community with an intellectual disability.

As a UTM student, sport teams are fantastic because you are given the option of joining Intramurals, Division 1, Tri-campus or Varsity teams. These options grant you the opportunity to pick the level of competition you are comfortable with and commitment you are willing to make. Furthermore, coaches are extremely flexible because they understand the busy life of a student and have the mentality that training comes second to academics.


As a Community on Campus volunteer, you can provide support to individuals with a disability for as little as an hour per week.  For those who have a passion for this field of work or those who are determined to contribute to our greater community in Mississauga, this is one of the many examples of the amazing opportunities to take advantage of on campus. Getting involved with UTM simultaneously assists in the development of the skills and experience you need for your resume and future career while building relationships that will last a lifetime.

Signing up for extracurricular activities has enriched my overall university experience. It is thanks to the distinguished and approachable faculty, the dedicated staff members, and my own peers that I feel a connection with my school that runs deep.  The community feeling I fell in love with has yet to fade away, and it is for that reason that I know that pursuing higher education here at UTM was by far the best decision I ever made.

Best of luck to all of you writing your second last set of high school exams :)
Keep working hard and don’t forget those profiles due Feb. 15th my CTEP friends!

Carla Correa


Carla Correa is from Caledon, Ontario and is a a third year student in the Concurrent Teacher Education Program. She's pursuing an Honours Bachelor of Science, double majoring in Exceptionality in Human Learning and French Language Teaching and Learning and a minor in Biology. She's part of the Residence Life Staff as a Residence Don. She loves zip-lining and playing volleyball, basketball and soccer.